I am not sure if this is the correct place for this but I had an issue at my client with installing FM 16 Pro on their Win8.1 machines. All the information I had found on the forums had not helped me and I finally was able to get FM16 installed by following these steps.
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
Operating system version
Description of the issue
When trying to install FMP 16, the install fails due to Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error. The vc_redist.x64/x86.exe files for both 14.0.23 and 14.0.424, did not fix the issue.
Steps to reproduce the problem
Installing from the FM16 Trial install file. I tried 16.0.1 and 16.0.2
Install FileMaker 16 Pro
Installation halted due to C++ error
Exact text of any error message(s) that appear
The Visual Studio C++ libraries and Windows Runtime components failed to install.
Windows 8.1 (Various configurations)
Files need to install FM16
DotNet 4.6.2 Offline Installer - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344
Latest trial version of FileMaker Pro 16
Steps to Install FM16
- I removed any the 2015 C++ redistribution files using Add/Remove programs. That is the 14.0.23 and 14.0.424 C++ files.
- Rebooted machine and logged on with Admin account
- I created a text file with a list of all the files that needed to be installed, as they say on the MS site that the files must be installed in order. The order is listed below
- Some of the updates do require a the machine to be restarted
- Install DotNet 4.6.2 and reboot
- Install FM 16Pro successfully
- I did find on a few of the machines that the install again failed, and I installed the KB2999226 updated and then the install was successful.
I hope this helps anyone who also has this issue. We found that the Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines did not have this issue, only the Windows 8.1 machines.