AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker 16 deleting fields from tables in a hosted app

Question asked by DarrenTerry on Sep 21, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 by DarrenTerry

I recently uploaded a new app to FileMaker Server 16. It's a single-file solution with several tables of data, your standard stuff. Within a day, users are reporting a problem when trying to create new records: trying to add a field to a table throws an error saying “This action cannot be performed because the required table is missing.” When I log in, I discover that all the fields in that table have been deleted. As in, the table is defined, but there are no fields in the table. On the layout, all the field objects say “field missing”. The TO on the graph is there, but all relationships to/from it show the broken line because there is no field defined for the relationship.

The first time this happened, there were 2 tables out of 9 that were affected. So I had FMS delete the file and re-uploaded a fresh copy (after confirming that all the tables had the proper fields defined in my copy). Today, they contacted me with the same error. Again, 2 tables have had all their fields deleted — but not the same 2 tables, different tables this time.

Details:

I created the file using FMPA 16.0v2 on Mac OS 10.11.6.  I’m currently running 10.12.6.

The file is hosted on a Mac Mini (Late 2012) running OS X 10.12.6.

Processor: 2.8 GHz Core i7

RAM: 16 GB

The host is running OS X Server, however. I’m not comfortable with that, but that’s how it sits.

This is the first time I’ve attempted using EAR (Encryption at Rest) with a FM file. I encrypted the file using the developer tools in FMPA 16, and uploaded the encrypted copy to the server. The file is open fine on the server. The problem is that for some reason, the fields in 2 of the tables seem to have disappeared (as if someone deleted the fields from the file.)

The file is set to deny access from versions of FM prior to 16, so I know all guests are using 16. All of the users are accessing using accounts tied to the “[Data Entry Only]” privilege set. They are all accessing using FMP, not Go or WD.

This smells like a bug to me, similar to (and possibly related to) the issue that’s currently wiping out peoples’ scripts when a hidden file gets disconnected. I’m wondering if it’s a similar issue, but this is not a hidden file. As I said, it’s a single-file solution, so it doesn’t open any hidden windows. Still, this makes me think something is causing FMP 16 to delete the field list catalog out of the affected table.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I can send Support a copy of the file if need be.

regards,

Darren

Outcomes