AnsweredAssumed Answered

Edit/Create Parents from Children not using PK

Question asked by flyingdesigner on Sep 25, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 by flyingdesigner

You all have been so helpful to this noob in determining whether or not to use FMP for my wine database project, and now that I have decided to I think it is great and am really excited to move forward.I'm having trouble managing a functionality between producers and wines.  I've been all over the forums and Lynda.com (using search terms that I *think* are right...) and I can't find an answer.

Here is the situation:

There is a Parent Table called Producer with fields: Producer_pk & Producer_Name (because I imagine there will be a ton of producers and I will eventually want to track other fields in those tables).

There is a Child Table called Wine with fields: Producer_fk, Wine_pk, and Wine_Name.

I want to have a Wine layout that shows the producer name and the wine name.  When I create a new wine record, I want to be able to pick from a pre-existing list of producers via a drop down (so I can start typing the name to see if it is there).  The kicker is, I don't want to do the dropdown with the key, rather with the Producer_Name.

Is there a way to do that?

The follow-on question is, is there a way to put an option to open a new window and create a new record within a list?  e.g., if I start typing a name and it isn't in the DB already, can a window pop up to create a new record?

Thanks in advance for your help or guidance to other threads.

MD

Outcomes