AnsweredAssumed Answered

Opening multiple layouts in one new preview window

Question asked by JohnMaher on Sep 26, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 by philmodjunk

I'm trying to find a way to make my printing process a bit easier. I have a FM 13 advanced database that is used in a medical office to print customized information packets for patients. Each packet has between 5 and 20 pages made up of between 4 and 11 individual layouts that pull the data they use to fill in the blanks from a single patient record. Right now I am using pretty basic scripts to print the packets. Here's an example of one of my many print scripts.

Go to Layout [ “Surgery Cover Sheet-TSC-CATARACT-MAC” (Patient Information) ]

Print [ Current record; All Pages; Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore: Brother DCP-8080DN @ Check Out Desk (Two-Eleven); No dialog ]

Go to Layout [ “Health Clearance Instructions-TSC-CATARACT/CHALAZION-MAC” (Patient Information) ]

Print [ Current record; All Pages; Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore: Brother DCP-8080DN @ Check Out Desk (Two-Eleven); No dialog ]

Go to Layout [ “Request for H & P Clearance for Surgery Form-TSC-CAT-iStent-MAC” (Patient Information) ]

Go to Layout [ “TSC Pre Reg Info Sheet” (Patient Information) ]

Go to Layout [ “Pre-Cataract Surgery Questionaire-CATARACT” (Patient Information) ]

Go to Layout [ “Authorization For Consent to Surgery-TSC-CATARACT&iStent” (Patient Information) ]

If [ GetAsText (Patient Information::Surgery Type) = "Cataract with iStent" ]

Go to Layout [ “Pre/Post-Op Standard Orders-TSC-CATARACT&iStent” (Patient Information) ]

Else If [ GetAsText (Patient Information::Surgery Type) = "Complex Cataract with iStent" ]

Go to Layout [ “Pre/Post-Op Standard Orders-TSC-COMPLEXCATARACT&iStent” (Patient Information) ]

End If

One of the employees that uses the system is barely able to use a computer so I try to keep the program's complexity to a minimum. The problem I'm having using this script is that it doesn't give a preview of the entire packet before printing it. This leads to a lot of wasted paper when employees select the wrong print script.

Probably the simplest fix would be to change the script to show a MAC OS print dialogue before printing every packet and instruct the employees to use the 'open pdf in preview' option before printing. Even that might be difficult for them to remember though. Is it possible to create a script to open all of the selected layouts in a new FM window in preview mode? I feel like this would be the most elegant solution as it would allow them to review all the pages in the packet before committing to print it, as well as giving them the option to email or save the document as a PDF using the toolbar at the top of the new window. I tried to create a script to execute my desired plan but the closest I could get had all the individual layout files opening in their own windows which is not ideal.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to get all the layouts to open in one new FM preview window or is that beyond FM 13s capabilities?

Outcomes