shblackwell

Security Features Review: Explain, Review, Demonstrate

Discussion created by shblackwell on Sep 30, 2017

September 30th 2017

Following on to some of the ideas offered in my recent post on my FileMaker Security BLOG, [https://fmforums.com/blogs/entry/1883-five-emerging-trends-for-2018-will-impact-security-of-the-filemaker-platform/],
I believe there is a need for a program at the 2018 Developer Conference along the following lines.

FileMaker, Inc. for the last several versions has introduced a significant number of new security features ranging from Encryption at Rest to Credentials Storage Management Controls, from OAuth2 Identity Services to Field Level Encryption, and from WebDirect™ Authentication improvements to API Controls for AppleEvents and ActiveX. These are in addition to File Access Protection, introduced earlier in the development cycle.

Many developers at all levels and many end-user customers or clients are, at best, only dimly aware of these, of how they work, and of how and why we should employ them to protect the businesses that own the data from breaches, liabilities, criminal and civil penalties, and business continuity disasters.

I envision a presentation that would do three things:

• Explain
  • Review
  • Demonstrate

In other words:  Explain Context; Review Technical Details; and, Demonstrate Effectiveness.  Until developers, users, and owners of business data understand the Why of Security, they are unlikely to appreciate the Need for Security and the Imperatives for Security.

Steven H. Blackwell

Platinum Member Emeritus, FileMaker Business Alliance

Outcomes