Product and version:
FileMaker Pro Advanced 220.127.116.11 (others not using Advanced originally reported this bug to me)
Note that I checked this in FileMaker 14, and the behavior is the same, but the user reporting this had just moved from FileMaker 13.
OS and version:
Mac OS X version 10.12.6
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) (again, this is what I'm using, but others have seen this on different hardware)
In FileMaker 16, when working with a time field formatted as a popup, times entered in 24 hour format are always displayed as such, regardless of formatting applied on the field. Edit boxes and Drop-down Lists work fine. This behavior was not present in earlier versions of FileMaker, though I can't be 100% sure that appeared first in FileMaker 16, as the person who noticed the bug had just switched from either FileMaker 13 or 14.
How to replicate:
- Create a new file (I called mine Date_Format_Test.)
- Add a single time field to the database called "test_time", and click "OK" to exit database management.
- In layout mode on the default layout, ensure that test_time is formatted to display as "hhmm" in 12 hour format.
- duplicate the test_time field twice:
- leave one instance of the field as an Edit Box;
- change the second instance of the field to a Pop-up Menu;
- give this field a Value List with custom values that are times (I used times on the hour and half hour between 10 am and 1:30 pm, inclusive.)
- change the final instance of the field to a Drop-down List, with the same value list as above.
- Enter browse mode, and enter 13:00 in the edit box.
- Click out of the field to commit the change.
- You will note that the time is displayed based on the formatting specified in step 2 for the Edit box and Drop-down List, but the Pop-up Menu displays the time in 24 hour format, as entered.
Use a Drop-down List rather than a Pop-up Menu in these situations.
If the above isn't feasible, place an Edit Box which doesn't allow data entry in front of the Pop-up Menu.