AnsweredAssumed Answered

Ideas on how to track semester activity

Question asked by mquinn on Oct 3, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 by mquinn

I have been in filemaker about six months and have created a database for tracking graduate students, faculty they work with and courses they teach at a university. My latest dilemma, I cannot wrap my head around how to work with academic year activity with regard to the courses the students assist in teaching (aka fall, spring and summer).

I have a students table, faculty table and courses table. These three tables are joined and I use portals to connect information. 

My latest issue revolves around the students:: to courses:: tables. My students are teaching assistants for various courses and each semester this list will change. Fall data is up and I simply have fields for semester:: (Fall) and year:: (2017).

Next spring, in order for this to work, I'd have to wipe all of the data from the fields and begin again. I'm looking for the best way to keep this data for fall and start new for spring. Some courses will change but some will remain.

I created a new table for Semester_Terms but still couldn't foresee how it will work...Any advice?

Since we do not follow regular years, we also delineate our terms by academic years, which begin in summer =

Summer 2017 = 2017-00

Fall 2017 = 2017-10

Spring 2018 = 2017-20

Below is a screenshot from the courses table. There is a portal linked to faculty as instructors. and as you can see there is a portal linked to the students who TA. It works for now, I don't see it working this coming spring.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 10.47.33 AM.png

Outcomes