ericjlindholm

Self healing auto enter calc - Let function

Discussion created by ericjlindholm on Oct 3, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 by philmodjunk

All of the following is done with the goal of squeezing every bit of WAN performance out of my DB that i can. 

I am toying with the idea of some self healing auto enter calcs.  I am converting some unstored calculations into auto-enter calcs where it makes sense and finding huge performance gains.  I need to script these refreshes from a few different places and even contexts.

I would like to use a let function to say that any time a field is modified to anything else, it will evaluate itself and reset to the proper value. 

example

field invoice::amountDue  isan of auto-enter calc

Let ( [

~x = Self

~invoiceTotal  =  invoice::total

~paid = Sum ( invoice_paymentItems::amount)

];

~invoiceTotal - ~paid

)

after a new payment item is created, I can set the field amountDue to itself ( or any other value if i screw it up )  from any context and it will evaluate with the new value.   the  field will also evaluate if the invoice total is modified.  but it will not evaluate any other time. 

I have also thought about including a field that will function as an auto-enter fixer.  I can include it in the let statements of all my auto-enters and set it to true at any point to refresh them all if needed.

Am I missing anything with this thought process?

Outcomes