AnsweredAssumed Answered

Background Portal Sorting Crashes Windows Client

Question asked by DoomSolutions on Oct 15, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2018 by DoomSolutions

Host Environment - FMS 16.0.2.212, Single Machine, Mac Mini OS 10.12.6

User Environment - FMPFUC 16.0.2, Win10, LAN

Description - A Windows user is experiencing FMP "Not Responding" crashes while a portal seemingly sorts in the background.  I don't know what triggers the portal to randomly sort.  Attached is a screenshot of the errors.

How to replicate - Unfortunately, this has been completely intermittent, and I cannot replicate it on demand.  There is only one Windows user, and the Mac users have not complained of a similar issue.

There are no layout triggers to prompt the re-sorting, and the sort field does not frequently change.  The user keeps the file open all day in the background, occasionally minimized, and they will sometimes notice that it has locked up when trying to use it again.  The portal is sorting on one indexed field and uses portal filtering based on a combination of globals and non-indexed fields.  The relationship is a self-join, cartesian, and is not sorted because it is reused on other layouts with different filtering/sorting criteria.  20 portal rows are visible.  There are only 678 records in the file, and the portal displays about 10 records on average at any given time based on the filtering.

Workaround - The user reports that pressing Cancel or Esc will halt the sorting about 10% of the time if FM hasn't already frozen.  Otherwise, that will then prompt the "Not Responding" dialog, and they must force quit and reopen.  I don't know the extent that they have "waited" for the program to respond, but it shouldn't take more than a minute for FM to sort a handful of records.

Anyone else experiencing the same?  Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?  Thank you.

Attachments

Outcomes