AnsweredAssumed Answered

Conditional value lists

Question asked by drmaestro on Oct 21, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2017 by philmodjunk

Hi,

I am trying to create a conditional value list for a medical database. There are 2 related categories. The first one is the biopsy result, which can have 6 different outcomes, and the second one is a specific diagnostic subtype, which, depending on biopsy outcome result, can have 2 to 4 subtypes.

For the sake of simplicity, I want to give an example. Let's assume the 6 possible biopsy results are as follows:

Result 1, Result 2, Result 3, Result 4, Result 5, Result 6.

For subtypes, a Result 1 biopsy can be Subtype 1 or Subtype 2; a Result 2 biopsy can be Subtype 3, 4, or 5; a Result 3 biopsy can be Subtype 6, or 7, etc....

The subtypes don't overlap (only a Result 1 biopsy can be Subtype 1. There is no possibility for a Result 2 or 3 biopsy to be Subtype 1)

What I want to achieve is to create 2 pop-up / dropdown fields and when I choose the biopsy result on the first field, I only want to see the possible related subtypes on the second field (If I choose Result 1 on the first field, I only want to see Subtype 1 and Subtype 2).

Maybe I have been a little bit vague but for a more concrete example, think of a menu, where you can choose the type of food in one entry (Appetizers, Main Course, Desserts, etc) and the second pop-up/drop-down menu automatically changes to the options for the selected category (for example if dessert is chosen, the second field should only present Ice Cream, Cheesecake, Brownie, etc).

I have found the following link on filemaker's online help:http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/~/creating-conditional-value-lists

I tried to follow it but I fail at the end. What I fail at is that I cannot understand where I am going to type the value lists for the fields. The example seems to create database entries to populate the fields, instead of creating a possible value list for both fields.

Is there a simpler way to do this? Thanks.

Outcomes