AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker 16 Runtime prerequisites for windows

Question asked by Ralph_Buechle on Oct 25, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 by tinhx7

I've build Runtime for windows and have trouble to check for prerequisites and install them if necessary.

To my understanding, MS Visual C++ redist (2015+ for FM 16 Runtime) and MS .NET (4.6+) need to be installed on the windows machine before a runtime works.

Now

Problem 1: There are a lot of tutorials out there how to use i.e. innosetup to make an installer for the runtime, which actually is not necessary, since the runtime would work after decrompressing a ZIP, WHEN MS Visual C++ and .NET is installed. So now not everyone has that installed, so is there anyone willing to show me, how to make an installer that checks for the prerequisites and if necessary installs them before the runtime is being installed? I'm not stuck with innosetup!

Problem 2: I had the idea to walk customers through the installation and the app on a AWS Workspace (Teamview or direct). Now although MS Visual C++ and .NET is installed, the runtime wouldn't work. I get the error message "The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstall..." - as if MS Visual C++ or .NET are not installed. I noticed, that Amazon Workspace uses Windows Server to provide the desktops. As far as I know, Runtimes should work on Windows Server 2008/2016 or not? Has anyone made experience with that?

Outcomes