AnsweredAssumed Answered

Move from OpenDirectory to ?

Question asked by BrynBehrenshausen on Oct 27, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 by BrynBehrenshausen

Hi friends,

Looking for some tips/advice. Our FileMaker deployment is starting to outgrow the aging Mac Pro we have it on. I'm looking to move to a grown-up server solution, one with RAID, etc, but I'm concerned about the costs involved in doing so.

Hardware alone I'm looking at a couple grand for a decently specced server. That's expected. But the SOFTWARE. We're an all Mac shop so we don't have any existing Windows Servers, so I have no infrastructure existing for licensing or Active Directory. All of our authentication is done via OpenDirectory currently, and I use Ubuntu for DNS servers. I'll have to change this to move to a Windows Server since there's no way to bind it to OD.

Reviewing the licensing for Windows Server I'm looking at $1000 for each server license (from my previous experience it's recommended to have 2x AD servers standalone) so I'm looking at a couple grand for 3x Windows Server 2016 installs, and then I discover that you have to license CALs too, so I'm looking at a couple grand in that if I want to do AD authentication. So hardware + licensing I'm looking at almost $10k to make this move...ouch.

My other option is using the OAuth services since we have Office365. My hesitation is that every time a user opens the database, they'll have a browser window opened to authenticate first. This if very inefficient, especially because we have a number of iPads deployed for production use and that will be very annoying. I wish there was a way to save credentials a la Open Directory/Active Directory.

Has anyone faced this scenario, moving from a Mac "server" to a true blue Windows Server? Any tips for how to license most effectively? Any solutions I'm not thinking of? Anyone using OAuth who can speak to how it is on an iPad to have that window pop up?

Any Apple employees looking in here, please please please give me some server hardware and save me from this Windows Server nightmare!

Outcomes