AnsweredAssumed Answered

Matrix table automation

Question asked by blinky6755 on Oct 30, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 by Menno

I am a complete newbie to FM.  I have managed to write a DB for my Bushfire Consultancy.  I am trying to automate the use of matrix tables which are used to analyse bushfire risk.  There are four criteria which are used in these matrix tables to produce a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) which is the output. There are six different BALs’: BAL-LOW, BAL-12.5, BAL-19, BAL-29, BAL-40 and BAL-FZ

The variable criteria are:

• FDI, a figure which relates to the geographic location. There are four of these which deems there are four matrix tables.
  • Vegetation type, there are seven different types to choose from: Forest, Woodland, Scrub etc,
  • Slope,  There are 5 different slope groups: Flat land-0 degrees, 0-5 degrees, 5-10 degrees, 10-15 degrees and 15-20 degrees
  • Separation distance, this is a user defined number based on a site measurement.

I have a form called ‘Site_Data’ which has dropdown boxes for FDI, Vegetation type and Slope parameters while the Separation distance is entered manually.

I have been trying, without any success, to write a calculation which will produce the appropriate BAL once all the criteria has been entered into the form.  At first I was trying to use an if statement but after considerable research I believe a Case statement is probably a better way to approach this.  A couple of examples of the criteria and the BAL output would look tike this:

FDI=100, Vegetation=Forest, Slope=Flat land-0 degrees, Distance=19,  therefore BAL=BAL-FZ

FDI=100, Vegetation=Woodland, Slope=0-5 degrees, Distance=29, therefore BAL=BAL-19

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Outcomes