AnsweredAssumed Answered

Promoting Cloud by providing Estimated FileMaker Cloud costs in Admin Console

Question asked by taylorsharpe on Nov 3, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2017 by taylorsharpe

We just had our FMPUG monthly meeting and Tom Magolo made the presentation on FileMaker Cloud, which is all well and good.  And while he did a great job, it still left a lot of grumbling that people have no idea what they are jumping into in regards to pricing because people do not know their bandwidth per database.

This got me to thinking about how to promote the Cloud and reduce confusion for those already running a local version of FileMaker Server.  What if the FileMaker Admin console had 3 new columns in the Activity/Databases portal?  One for network bandwidth GB/Month, one for GB since Start up, and one that is an Amazon Cloud Pricing Popover.  Already the Statistics can monitor such things as network KB/s.  If Draco is already doing this, could it also do it for each database?  If so, I envisioned a revision of the Activity/Databases module below where it lists databases and you can click a popover where you choose the Amazon Instance Type and it would use the GB/month to calculate the FileMaker Cloud pricing for you.  This would give you a real idea how much each database would cost to move to the cloud and I think would promote people with local FileMaker Servers to consider moving to FileMaker Cloud if they had a better idea of the estimated costs.

What do you guys think or do you have better or alternative suggestions to this idea?

cloud.png

Based on your input, I'll probably revise this as a product suggestion.  I just wanted some other eyeballs on it before doing that.

Outcomes