AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dates importing in a strang and random format.

Question asked by 5eppa on Nov 3, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 by 5eppa

We are looking to import a lot of records having to do with calls being made. The reports originally are sent to us from another company each month in the form of an Excel Spreadsheet. The date field that they have comes as MM/DD/YYYY and a timestamp for when the call was made. In order for me to sort and organize the reports as my boss would like I need to be able to enter this all into a date field but the timestamp throws things off. I recently imported a lot of these records (there are usually 30000 or more a month) to try and work with live data and Filemaker seems to have imported a number of files where it formatted correctly as MM/DD/YYYY and a number of records where the date field populated with YYYY-MM-DD and then the timestamp. This is weird because this format does not show up at all in the Excel files and it does appear that Filemaker was able to make a good number of the records correctly without me having to write a script to edit to remove the timestamp and yet a number of records still have the timestamp and the format changed. I was going to write a script to reformat them after they were imported but is there a way to format them correctly as they come in or at least ensure that it comes in in the same format so that I can properly edit it after.

Outcomes