AnsweredAssumed Answered

WebDirect: serious freezing problems

Question asked by William-Porter on Nov 9, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 by TSGal

I have already posted this as a question in the Community and perhaps I should just link to my description of the problem there: "WebDirect becomes unusable. Why?"

The short version is that several of my clients -- in different offices, different cities, on different OSes — are reporting that their database is randomly freezing on them in their web browser. The freezes more often seem to occur after a couple minutes of inactivity (like five minutes) but I have a report that the database has also occasionally frozen on a user while she was active in the database, trying to switch layouts or trying to do a find.

My databases have been carefully and specifically designed for WebDirect. Layouts are simple. I keep portals to a minimum. I avoid layering items on top of one other as much as I can.

This has been very frustrating for me and it's a significant annoyance to my clients. I'm very close to deciding that WebDirect simply is not ready for prime time. But I cannot think of any other work arounds. Hoping you can suggest some lines of investigation.

Will Porter

Product and version: WebDirect 16

OS and version: Mac users using Sierra or High Sierra, PC users using Windows 10

Browser and version (for WebDirect only): All users using one of the browsers recommended on the FMS16 specs page, with higher than recommended versions

Hardware: Mac laptops, iMacs, iPads, Windows PCs

Description: See above

How to replicate: See my last post in the thread to which I linked above. It has happened to me personally, after I stepped away from my browser for a few minutes. But it's apparently a somewhat random occurrence.

Workaround (if any): Switching to FileMaker Pro seems to eliminate the problem.

Outcomes