AnsweredAssumed Answered

Data Separation

Question asked by Wicktor on Nov 15, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 by taylorsharpe

After spending too much time and too often in importing data after requested changes into a complex medical multi-language solution I have decided to try moving toward the data separation model.

And after reading a few discussions about data separation, I have seen suggestions for planning at least 3 files:

a) the USER file

b) the DATA file

c) the SCRIPTS file

d) someone suggest also having a PRINT file

Well, that brings me to some questions before proceeding with a "good practice":

1) is it appropriate having all the data that will be entered and modified by the users will stay in the DATA file while maintaining the "tags" and "labels" global fields that do not change into the USER file ?

2) is it correct to have all the layouts (with portals etc.) with all the graphic relationships in the USER file while the DATA file has none (or almost none) ?

3) is it appropriate splitting the DATA file into 4 or 5 DATA files accordingly with the nature of the data ( for example ADMINISTRATION_DATA file, CLINICAL_DATA file, etc)

4) would be appropriate having the SCRIPTS files only for tasks like Import and Export ?

5) is it correct to avoid having the PRINT file and manage all the print scripts within the USER file ?

6) is there a sort of "white paper" with comprehensive detailed guidelines that I should follow?

Sorry for the many questions but they are all referred to the same final result.

Many Thanks,

Victor

p.s.:

- using FMP Adv 14 and moving into FMP Adv 16 within a month

- multi-platform solution Mac/Win, should be used both on Server and/or single computer

Outcomes