AnsweredAssumed Answered

Restarting Serial Values Automatically

Question asked by tingalls on Nov 16, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 by tingalls

I'm new to developing with FileMaker (v.16) and can't seem to get a field set up how I would like. Hopefully someone can walk me through what is needed.

I am working with a state that requires photos submitted with a very particular naming convention: site name plus serial number. So if the site is "1234" the photos would need to be named "1234001, 1234002, 1234003,..." The serial number needs to start back at 001 for the next site.

We perform surveys and record numerous sites at a time. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the serial numbers to start over for each site. I've tried to create two fields, one for site number and one for serial, then combine these through an auto-enter calculation into the FileName field for the photo. However the serial numbers just continue through all sites, without resetting to 001. It seems like I should be using Set Next Serial Value, but I can't get it to work.

I've also tried to write a Loop script, so that someone could press a button right before exporting the photos that would set all the FileNames in the found set (all the sites in a project). I'm not particularly good at writing "complex" scripts yet so it's very possible I'm just not thinking through the steps correctly.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Outcomes