AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to check a field contains a unique value against a list

Question asked by Eric Whittaker Jr on Nov 27, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 by philmodjunk

So I have a table called VENUES that has a field "VENUES::venueLocation" and "VENUES::venueName".

The Venue Location value, for example, could be "New York" or another state. The Venue Name value could be anything.

For this example, let's say there are 4 records

1 - New York - Warehouse 1

2 - New York - Warehouse 2

3 - Vermont   - Warehouse 1

4 - Vermont   - Warehouse 2

I would like to make it so that when I enter another record "5 - Vermont - 'VENUES::venueName'" that the venueName field is unique but only to the records that are in the same location. I tried setting the field to be only unique values but that causes an issue with the records from another location that uses the same venueName. I have already created another instance of the VENUES table and did a self-join where the only records that match would be if they had the same venueLocation and created a value list from this context to get just a list of venueName's to compare against. But I can't figure out how to write the calculation to validate by calculation in the validation settings of the field.

I hope this has explained my issue well enough and I would be happy to elaborate if needed. So can anyone let me know how to make this work?

Outcomes