ergo99

Avoid circular relationship between 3 tables

Discussion created by ergo99 on Nov 28, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 by ergo99

Hi there

I have three tables: "Sources", "Incidents" and "Contexts". Sources and Incidents are related through a join table: more than one source to each Incident, more than one Incident to each Source.

I am now trying to throw in the new "Contexts" table, where some Sources may relate to a Context record, and some Incidents may relate to a Context record, but they will not necessarily be those Incidents and Sources that are already related, so just creating one relation Incidents to Contexts will not necessarily relate the correct Source records. 

I have tried creating new table occurrences of both Sources, Incidents and Contexts so that of course there is no circular relationship. I'm not sure how to then display these new TO's on the original layout (as I want only one layout per actual table).

In the end I would like the Contexts layout to have two separate portals showing related Sources and related Incidents, which might not each in turn already be related. On the Sources layout I would like to keep my portal to Incidents (through join table) and also separately display the related Context entry (if there is one), which would be the "context ID" and the "context name". In the same way, on the Incidents layout I would like to keep the portal to Sources and also separately display the related Context entry (if there is one).

I've looked through a lot of discussion threads and given a few different attempts to no avail. Thanks for your help

Outcomes