AnsweredAssumed Answered

Navigation bars vs Menu sets

Question asked by ndveitch on Nov 29, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 by philmodjunk

Hi there,

I need to ask what the best way to get around navigation of a system would be. Normally we will build a nav bar and use that on all layouts for the users to switch between the various modules in the system. This has been ok for now, and I have learnt to live with the headaches that it brings. The main one was recently where my client told me that we needed to add a new module to the system, as now a year into using the system they have realised that they need the extra module. To add the module was not to much work, to update the nav bar however turned out to be a pain in the neck because I could have been doing other development instead of, going to layout, delete nav bar, paste updated nav bar, centre the nav bar, and then repeat. Luckily, there were only 30 layouts I had to go through, but this got me thinking, the day will come that one of my bigger clients will want the same, and it will take me probably a day or 2 just to update the nav bar.

I was looking at custom menu sets, and this is looking a lot more attractive right now, because the way I see it, I would just need to update the menu set, and voila everything is updated. Then all I would need for a nav bar, would be anything very specific to each module.

From a design point of view, would menu sets be a better option over custom built nav bars? What are the pitfalls of custom menu sets?

Outcomes