AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I take 4 fields in the same row, 3 always null and show only the not null field on a report.

Question asked by robert-42it on Dec 7, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 by beverly

Situation.

I am going to be importing a csv from a online questionnaire type platform on a weekly basis.  The only thing Filemaker is being used for is generating reports, one page per row. 

The problem.

There are several groups of questions from the online platform, that should be one field with either one of 3 or 4 answers (should have been formatted as a pick list).

However what I am getting in the csv is question "A" returns a field per each possible choice, the selected answer will be in the field but all else are null.

Example

"Question_A_answer_1" =" "

"Question_A_answer_2" =" "

"Question_A_answer_3" = "Answer_A"

"Question_A_answer_4" =" "

What I need to do is show only the answer on the report 

It seems that an answer is to create a field(calculated?) to be populated by the results of something like this pseudo code.

"report_field" being the calculated field

"field_1-4" being the "Question_A_answer_1-4" in the example above.

if

field_1 isempty = 0 set report_field to field_1

else if

field_2 isempty = 0 set report_field to field_2

else if

field_3 isempty = 0 set report_field to field_3

else if

field_4 isempty = 0 set report_field to field_4

Can anyone help me a FMP novice get from the idea to the execution

While I have played around with Access and SQL I haven't done much with  Filemaker since the last century and I am primarily a systems guy not DB or coder, so go easy on me.

tldnr:

How can I take 4 fields in the same row, 3 of which will always be null and show only the not null field on a report.

Thank you

Bob

Outcomes