AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing Email into FileMaker,  Anti-Virus scaning?

Question asked by BruceHerbach on Dec 15, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 by BruceHerbach

I'm working on a database that will pull company e-mail with attachments into a FileMaker database.  Once the e-mail is imported scripts scan the From, To e-mail addresses and the subject and connect the e-mails to contact, clients, leads and projects.

My question and concern is how to handle attachments that have viruses in them?  The database is hosted so I can't scan it directly. The company that hosts the Exchange server doesn't scan/eliminate viruses on the server.

The attachments,  Word Docs, PDFs will be viewable in an interactive container field on a layout.  There will be a button that will export the attachment to the desktop.

Suggestions on how to protect the company from malicious attachments would be greatly appreciated.

Technical:

Development is being done using FileMaker 16 FMS version 16.0.3.304 running on an AWS EC2.  Clients are FileMaker Pro  and Pro Advanced 16  version 16.0.3.302 

Back ground information:

This is a second generation of this portion of the database.  In the first generation,  we only brought in the text of the email, subject and address/header information.  The script moved the e-mail to a permanent storage folder on the exchange server.  When staff wanted to read the e-mail, view the attachments or reply an Apple Script opened the e-mail in Mail and the desktop anti-virus program took care of any viruses in the e-mail and attachments.   The email portion of the database has been on operation since 2013 and so far this has prevented viruses from infecting the company.

I'm sure they get a lot of e-mails with viruses.  Most of these are spam.  I have a development e-mail account on the exchange server.  Last time I checked the e-mail there was in developing version one.  Yesterday I had my regular e-mail program connect and download the e-mail there.  Actually expected 0 e-mails.  Ended up with about 25 or so e-mails and 11 viruses.   My anti-virus program started to report and eliminate the viruses before I event took a look at the list.

Thanks very much for the help.

Outcomes