AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way of exporting layouts as static HTML?

Question asked by mactabby on Dec 21, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 by beverly

Hi - quick question.  Over the last 6 months I've moved most of our business processes over to FileMaker, and it's been a great experience.  I'm stuck on one thing at the moment:

I have a sales dashboard (daily/weekly/monthly performance, top value orders outstanding, etc) which is built in Excel, refreshing from Sage Accounts every few minutes using vbs, saved as a web page locally then mirrored to a web server, so the Directors have a live view of today's performance (via web as they're not always around). The web page is static and saved as an icon on their phones so they open it and the data's instantly there.

Excel does a lot of heavy lifting to produce the dashboard, and the process regularly dies, inevitably when I'm not around to fix it.  It's easy for FileMaker though, but I'm struggling to get the data out into a quickly-accessible format:

• Webdirect and FileMaker Go are just too slow to load, login, load layout, etc - this is just static data after all
  • Export as HTML can only give me tables - I need something more structured for the users
  • I had a look at custom publishing with php and it just looked too steep a learning curve for me, even though I am have some php experience
  • the data API similarly looked too hard

Any other options?  Save as pdf and convert to HTML? My fallback is to do the hard work in FileMaker, export data to Excel and then carry on as before, but I really want to cut Excel from the process if possible.

Many thanks in advance

Outcomes