AnsweredAssumed Answered

NAICS code for FM Developer

Question asked by taylorsharpe on Dec 27, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 by taylorsharpe

I'm trying to figure out the best NAICS code for my company.  I'm a small FM developer with a lot of clients where I develop the custom apps/solutions, help install their software, train, and maintain solutions (upgrades, backups).  I do not do production hosting, only hosting  of solutions in development.  Also, I don't resell software (including FM) for tax reasons in my State (Texas) - I have another FBA handle that for my clients.  So I am not a seller of software.  I think this is what many of us typically do that are independent FM developers. 

I'm leaning towards this one:

541511 Custom Computer Programming Services

This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in writing, modifying, testing, and supporting software to meet the needs of a particular customer.

Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--

• Software design, development, and publishing, or software publishing only--are classified in Industry 511210, Software Publishers; and
  • Planning and designing computer systems that integrate computer hardware, software, and communication technologies, even though such establishments may provide custom software as an integral part of their services--are classified in U.S. Industry 541512, Computer Systems Design Services.

I also looked at this one but didn't think it as close:

511210 Software Publishers

This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in computer software publishing or publishing and reproduction. Establishments in this industry carry out operations necessary for producing and distributing computer software, such as designing, providing documentation, assisting in installation, and providing support services to software purchasers. These establishments may design, develop, and publish, or publish only. These establishments may publish and distribute software remotely through subscriptions and downloads.

• Reselling packaged software--are classified in Sector 42, Wholesale Trade, or Sector 44-45, Retail Trade;
  • Providing access for clients to software published by others from a central host site--are classified in Industry 518210, Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services;
  • Designing software to meet the needs of specific users--are classified in U.S. Industry 541511, Custom Computer Programming Services; and
  • Mass duplication of software--are classified in U.S. Industry 334614, Software and Other Prerecorded Compact Disc, Tape, and Record Reproducing.

Note the clarification in 511210 about "Designing software to see the needs of specific users" are 541511, which is my first choice. 

Then there is always the "Computer System Design Services" which includes hardware and software:

541512 Computer Systems Design Services

This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in planning and designing computer systems that integrate computer hardware, software, and communication technologies. The hardware and software components of the system may be provided by this establishment or company as part of integrated services or may be provided by third parties or vendors. These establishments often install the system and train and support users of the system.

Illustrative Examples:

Computer systems integration design consulting services

Local area network (LAN) computer systems integration design services

Information management computer systems integration design services

Office automation computer systems integration design services

• Selling computer hardware or software products and systems from retail-like locations, and providing supporting services, such as customized assembly of personal computers--are classified in U.S. Industry 443142, Electronics Stores; and
  • Merchant wholesaling computer hardware or software products and providing supporting services, such as customized assembly of personal computers--are classified in Industry 423430, Computer and Computer Peripheral Equipment and Software Merchant Wholesalers.

How have others of you in the FM development business classified yourself under NAICS for government forms?  If you want to look at the US Government's NAICS web page, it is at: North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Main Page U.S. Census Bureau

Outcomes