AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker 16 memory leak or crash

Question asked by matwell on Jan 4, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 by jamiej

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding fixing or tracking down a Filemaker 16 memory leak?

I have a specific Filemaker file that when opened causes the Filemaker application to become un-responsive.  Viewing the Windows Task Manager shows the memory usage to steadily climb and will use nearly all the available memory in a minute or so.  Usually the system does not crash but Filemaker is unresponsive and needs to be closed and restarted.  It can take several attempts before it opens properly.  The memory leak will  also occur while using the file after it opens.   Many times performing a find will cause the file to become unresponsive once you click into the field to be searched.  It is only happening with one database file but the complete database is composed of 12 files..  The problem file contains 250,000 records and is 1GB in size. 

The memory leak occurs on both windows and macs and on our Windows server when it runs a Filemaker Pro client.  I've tried disabling plugins (Base Elements, SmartPill ) as well as uninstalling the ODBC driver on the client I am performing the testing on and the leak persists. 

This database is over 15 years old and has grown in complexity and size over the years as filemaker has improved.

This issue started happening later last year (2017) when we updated Filemaker Server from 14 to 16 and the Filemaker Pro clients from 15 to 16.  It happens with both Pro and Advanced versions.

My questions are:

Can this happen because I've done something in my database like a division by zero or some other undefined calculation?

Why does it open properly sometimes but other times it doesn't?

Is it due to a particular Layout?

Is it due to filesize or number of records?

Should I work with Filemaker Technical support?  I'm not opposed to working with Filemaker Technical support (paid version of support) if people think that they are helpful.  I've never used them before.

System specs:

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Ver 6.3.9600

Filemaker Server 16.0.3.304

Filemaker Client FMPA Ver 16.0.3.302

Thanks,

Mike

Outcomes