AnsweredAssumed Answered

Calculate the difference between two records

Question asked by K.Feete on Jan 16, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 by Malcolm

So I'm working on updating a table for production records at my cheesemaking plant. There a number of production steps where the same three things (time, temperature, pH) are recorded. I'd been doing these as fields, but the cheesemakers keep adding steps -- and since I have to add three fields for every step it's getting painful to keep up the table and layouts. It occurred to me that I could create a Steps table and then a Steps Ledger join table, as so:

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.22.14 PM.png

However, I also have a reoccurring calculation where I need to find the difference between two steps, and I'm not sure how I'd create that calculation with this setup. As an example: I have a step called "Starter Added" and a step called "Rennet Added". The cheesemakers want to know how much time passed between adding the starter and adding the rennet. In my current setup I just add a calculation field (Rennet Added Time - Starter Added Time), but if each of these was an entry in Cheesemake Steps with their times for a specific date stored in the Make Step Ledger, I'm not sure how to fetch that number.

Help much appreciated, even if it's just telling me to suck it up and stick with the ever-expanding list of fields.

Outcomes