AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database structure

Question asked by vincer on Jan 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2018 by Wicktor

I have a Table_Labels with 3 fields (LabelName/LabelValue/Language) where I store text that is used inside scripts, messages, layouts, field labels, etc.: one record for each LabelName.

I do this for a number of reasons: to avoid having phrases inside scrips, for having specific fields labels in various languages, to avoid a lot of If/Then/Else routines, etc

Also, if there is a need to change a dialog message I do not need to enter Manage Database or Scripts Workspace, I just need to change text in its specific field of Table_Labels.

An other Table_Tags has only 1 record with all global fields, one field for each message, field label, tag, etc. I need inside scripts and layouts. Total of 1250 fields.

A startup script loads proper values from Table_Labels into Table_Tags, in that way those values become global, also accordingly with Language.

Beside the fact that all the above works fine, my question is: does it make sense in a context of having a correct database structure or I should move toward a different structure ?

ManyThanks,

Vince

Outcomes