AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS Hardware Old Mac or New Windows?

Question asked by jcooper on Feb 1, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2018 by wimdecorte

Hi All,

I was a FileMaker consultant for years but for the past decade have been an in-house IT Manager (still developing FM solutions for my company, but only between fixing copiers and laptops and the like). I'm a little rusty on the latest technologies and probably out of the loop on a few things -- I miss devcon   --- so I'm trying to wrap my head around what I need for the next few years.

Anyway, we've been running FMS13 of an Xserve for years now and it's time for an upgrade. Based on their latest desktop machines and Server app, it seems that Apple has told business customers to take a flying leap, so I've been looking at Dell, HP, etc for a server replacement and, after several hours, can state that BOY I miss the Xserve 10.6.8 days.

Anyway, until I unravel the chaos and expense of a windows server (weren't they supposed to be cheaper?) I'm pondering moving my database from the server (before it dies) to a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 to hold me the next year or two. It meets the recommended criteria (4 cores, etc) and drive space is not an issue. What I'm wondering, however, is:

The 4 core recommendation. Does that REALLY support up to 100 web direct users relatively well? Truth be told we'd probably have fewer than 50 most of the time, but it could get that high. We usually have 10-30 FileMaker desktop clients in addition to that.

Obviously database servers do best as physical machines, not VMs. But what about the web services? If I do this initially as a single machine deployment, but usage later dictates I need a worker machine, can the worker machine be  a VM since it's basically just a web server that talks to the database?

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not just moving to windows now? I'm only hesitating in hopes that Apple actually releases a modular MP as hinted in the next year or so. Also it'll give me time to pull up HPE's configuration page with a glossary explaining what the heck all their acronyms mean.

Thanks much,

Jeff

P.S. Just as an aside, if someone can draw me a sketch how servers can be sold with 8 cores but windows only licensed for 4 or 16, I'm all ears.

Outcomes