AnsweredAssumed Answered

Send mail

Question asked by rgnant_1 on Feb 12, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 by planteg

Working on a solution that will create pairings for golf events and send those pairings to the players.  Eventually this is designed to be a runtime solution.  Currently in FM14, waiting for 17 to come out to upgrade.

On a Mac, the process is to create the pairings, then use CMD/Shift/4 to take a snapshot of the pairings for the desktop.  Then move to a layout with the member names and a Yes/No radio button.  Two choices here:  Send to All, or Send to Selected (those for whom the radio button is set to "Yes."

In either case a script creates an email (one email using data from current record.) Uses email client. I get a email template on the screen with the To, From and Subject filled in.  I drag in the Pairings snapshot, hit send and all is just fine.

Then, heavily disguised in a false beard and dark sunglasses, I purchased a PC.  Was able to download FM on to it.  Can get the pairings, can use the Snipping Tool to create my snapshot.  But using email client, I get a dialog box that says "Server Busy -This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.  Choose "Switch To" to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

"Switch To" doesn't appear to do anything.  Not only that but the whole system freezes up and my only option is to force a shutdown of the PC.

I could use smtp but then the emails just go shooting out without the ability for me to include the pairings.

I'm guessing the various possible selections for email on a PC -- Outlook, Windows mail, gmail, hotmail, etc has something to do with my problem.

As usual any contributions and assistance from  this great Filemaker community would be appreciated.

Outcomes