AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connecting to External Data

Question asked by rcarran on Feb 14, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 by rcarran

I wrote an application (FMP 16 Advanced) with the UI in one file and the Filemaker data in another. When I specify the location of the data, on the Mac (where I developed the app), the data is automatically opened, and everything works well. On a PC, where the program is to be run, the UI does not automatically connect to the data, but gives me a dialog asking where the data is. Once I tell it, the app begins successfully.

I now have a script running on the main opening layout that goes to a portal on the On Layout Enter event. On the Mac, everything works fine. But on the PC, I get the dialog box to select the database location, and (when I click OK) then get error messages that it can't access the data in the portal because I haven't been able to select the db location. I can't figure out a way around this. Either of two solutions would be fine. Best would be if the data were opened automatically, as on the Mac. The other solution would be to allow me to select the data before trying to continue the script and access the portal.

Please help me with this. Time is critical.

Thank you!

Outcomes