AnsweredAssumed Answered

What's the best way to restart the FileMaker Server?

Question asked by douglerner on Feb 14, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 by douglerner

We are running FMS 15 on Windows 2008 R2. Yesterday, because of ongoing WPE instability (FileMaker is supposedly looking into this, but it's taking forever for them to get back to us regarding all the DMP files the asked us for) we needed to restart the FMS itself.

Our hosting provider said the best way to do this was via the Windows Server Manager, to stop the service, and then start it again.

That worked, but it took like 20 minutes for FMS to "verify" our 7 GB database. In the activity panel it was listed as having been abnormally aborted or something like that, and verification was taking forever.

While this was going on I talked to our hosting provider and asked, "Is that really the best way to restart the FileMaker Server?" They said definitely yes.

I guess I'm just skeptical and want to double-check here. Is just stopping the service and starting it again really best? Or is there a better, perhaps safer way that could have avoided that 20 minute wait for FMS to "verify" the database?

Thanks,

doug

Outcomes