AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to apply a value from a field based value list within a portal to several selected records at once

Question asked by Shakib on Feb 18, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 by Shakib

Hi,

Introduction: I need to apply a single value from a field-based value list that is located within a portal, to several records that I choose (without the hassle of selecting that same value for each record one by one). Here is a snapshot of my database:

Database snapshot.png

And here is the layout I am talking about:

Layout snapshot.png

Explanations: In this layout, which is based on the Table A, there is a portal that is circled by red on the above photo. This portal shows related records from A_B Table. Within this portal, I have placed the “_fkB_ID” field. The values for this field is taken from a field-based value list that populates its values from the field “_pkB_ID” located in the B Table.

What works now: What I am doing right now is that I can associate each record in the above layout to multiple records of B table, by selecting the value from the pop-up menu of the “_fkB_ID” field.

What I need help with: The problem with the above approach is that for several records in this layout (i.e. several records in the A Table), there is often only one of the records from the B table that should be associated with, and natureally, I have to go through all these records in this layout and one by one choose the same exact value from the “_fkB_ID” field. I would like to make this much faster: for example by adding a check-box in this layout (as pointed by red arrow on the above picutre) and selecting multiple records on this layout and then selecting one value from “_fkB_ID” field for all of them.

I have some idea about how to create that checkbox and make it work (maybe by a value list and a global field on this table?) but I do not know how to assign a single value from a value list on a field within a portal to them…

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Any help with this is MUCH appreciated as it will save much time…

Thanks a lot!

Outcomes