AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why doesn't FMP search container fields?

Question asked by fmpdude on Mar 3, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 5, 2018 by fmpdude

This question may be long-before answered, but considering how simple it is to search documents like DOC, DOCX, PDF,  in code, I'm curious why FMP doesn't include this basic search functionality? Or does it?

For example, using the free PDFBOx from Apache (Apache PDFBox | A Java PDF Library ), it took me all of 10 minutes to write code that will search PDFs for search term. I could also easily wrap a Regular Expression to that search as well making it even more powerful.

Additionally, using the free libraries for DOC and DOCX (Apache POI - the Java API for Microsoft Documents , as one example), I've similarly implemented search programs for those documents as well.

In a recent test, searching for text in a FMP container field using the Apache PDFBox did not cause that container file to be "invalid" or seemingly to have any other issues.

So, I'm wondering why, additionally considering that the Mac finds DOC, Word, and other files easily with Spotlight, why FileMaker doesn't find them also?

For me, searching container files should be an available feature.

This functionality may exist in some "inside baseball" kind of way, but shouldn't searching container fields work from a regular Find?

Outcomes