AnsweredAssumed Answered

Picking the right script trigger for a dropdown

Question asked by annd on Mar 7, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 by philmodjunk

I am building a sort of "batch management" layout in FMP 16 for a user who needs to indicate when sets of records are 1) presented to the legal department for review; and 2) when they are finished being reviewed; therefore making them 3) ready for a range of actions (send this form letter, send that agreement, etc.).

I have set up Yes / No check boxes with OnObjectEnter script triggers so that checking yes (i.e. yes, I presented this file to legal) will insert today's date in a Date field, which in turn feeds various reports about how long records remain under review.  In case the user checks something inadvertently and needs to UN-check it, I have set a script to change the Date field accordingly.  In other words, if the Date field is empty when the OnObjectEnter trigger fires, the script sets that field with today's date; if the Date field is not empty, the script clears the field so that no incorrect date remains to mess up reports down the road.

I want to do the same thing with a dropdown list of form letters.  When I use the OnObjectEnter trigger, however, I can't choose an option from the value list because the trigger seems to supersede the operation of the field.  Fair enough.  I keep trying different triggers, though, and I can't seem to find one that works with the script - that is, populates the field when I choose an option, then clears the field if I delete that choice.

I confess to being extremely new, so for all I know, my approach itself could be wrongheaded.  I appreciate any suggestions! 

Outcomes