user10625

Portal Refresh Bug ?

Discussion created by user10625 on Mar 9, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2018 by user10625

Filemaker Pro 16.0.x  (mostly 0.4 I believe)   (I don't think we saw this in 15, but I am not 100% sure)

Hosted by Filemaker Server 16.0.3

Client OS is Windows 7

Server OS is Windows 2012.

I, and users, have seen this bug sporadically.  At first I thought there might be some legit, non-bug reason for it, but last night I believe I confirmed it is a bug.

I was on a layout with a portal.  The portal points to child records via a simple parent ID relationship, and is set up (in the portal) to sort by a calculated number field.  The calculation is unstored.  The calculation does not depend on any UI elements (global fields, etc.) on the layout. 

(This is the calc on which the sort is based, in the child table (with some table names changed here for clarity)) : 

MyDate - Min (  MyTable_By_Same_Parent_ID::MyDate) + 1

(so it uses a self-join to look at other records that are related to the same parent).

The rows in the portal show this field.  So normally, the rows should look like this:

But last night, after making a schema change that didn't have anything to do with this field, the rows looked  something like this:

I believe the records were showing in Creation Order (i.e., the default), and not using the portal's sort.

I tried clicking through other records on the same table/layout --- those records' portals were sorted correctly.  When I returned to the record in question, it was still sorted incorrectly.

I went to other layouts in the system, and returned to the layout in question---the portal was still incorrectly sorted.

I went into layout mode, clicked around, and back into browse mode---the portal was still incorrectly sorted.

I went into the database schema (to check on the calc field being used), and when I exited ---the portal was still incorrectly sorted.

One thing I did not try was modifying data on the records in the portal.  If/when I see the issue again, I will try that.

Also did not try quickly writing a script to Go To Object and Refresh Portal.

Finally, when I quit Filemaker, and started it again and logged in, and went to the record in question:  it was now sorted correctly.

Other users have reported this from time to time . . .but it is sporadic (unfortunately?)

The only workaround appears to be to re-start/re-login.

I guess I am first of all wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Interestingly, the other instance of users seeing this was in a different layout, but the sorting was based on a very similar calculation in a different parent-child pair of tables.

Thanks,

Chris

Outcomes