We're working with a customer who is reporting a number of a FileMaker Server Warning 30 messages that correlate with losing data (for example 8 records where they are entering 1 record at a time)...
The current deployment is:
- FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on Windows 2012 R2 (with the latest patches)
- FileMaker Pro (Advanced) 14.0.latest (mix of mac OS and Windows desktop)
Most (but not all) of these reports are from users who are working remotely through a VPN.
We are trying to figure out how to address this issue...
1. We have reached out to the IT team to ask them if they have any diagnostics on the network connectivity
There are a number of posts and threads on FileMaker Server 30 messages. Here are 2 of the more useful one...
It seems unlikely that the VPN is disconnecting for two minutes at a time, although we are going to confirm that with the IT department.
We maintain a FileMaker database system of FileMaker Server Server email messages that can generate reports by different criteria...
* the drops seem to be evenly distributed across the workday and NOT correlated with any particular time of busy or active FileMaker Server.
We did a comparison of the number of drops that the customer is experiencing compared to other customers...the number of drops is in the same ballpark as other customers including those whose work is primarily on the local area network.
The same FileMaker database system that we use to track FileMaker Server messages also tracks the deployment stack...
The FileMaker Servers that we track include a mixture of:
- FileMaker Server version 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16
- OS X and Windows operating system
The number of FileMaker Server 30 drops does not seem to correlate with any particular FileMaker Server version or operating system.
We reached out to the users to ask if the drops correlated with any actions, for example:
- walking away to get lunch
- the machine disconnecting based on energy saver kicking in
The users are telling us that the drops occur while they're actively using the system.
While we are investigating the network and trying to determine if the issue is on the client side and/or on the server-side, we are looking to add some script steps (mostly more Commit Records) to increase the speed with which data moves through the client-server architecture to be written to the FileMaker Server disk.
The FileMaker Server 30 error messages are distributed:
- Relatively equally between type (10) and type (51).
- Multiple client installations
- A mixture of WAN and LAN
We are in the process of reading and charting the FileMaker Server statistics logs to see what we can learn.
We are in the process of reviewing all the FileMaker DevCon “Under the Hood” presentations that are relative to this issue.
In the meantime we would be grateful for any ideas.