AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dropdown list of values in portal via Join table

Question asked by RyanBuckley on Mar 14, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 by RyanBuckley

I am cataloging items (magazine pages) and tracking photographers appearing on each page. So I have established a many-to-many relationship as follows:

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.51.57 PM.png

On my Items layout I have a portal for JoinItemsPhotors. I want the user to be able to click the dropdown and see the list of PhotorCode followed by the PhotographerName. I've determined the only way to create the JoinItemsPhotors records that would connect these two indirectly tables is to set the Photographers::pkID value in JoinItemsPhotos::fkPhotorCodeID. This has resulted in a dropdown using values from Photographers::pkID followed by a second field of PhotorCode and hidding the first field:

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.40.57 PM.png

But after the user selects the value they want, the field doesn't show the second value--it shows the first. I don't want them to see the pkID value--I want them to see the PhotorCode and the PhotographerName.

What I want is for the user to be able to select Photographers from the Items layout, from a dropdown, for however many there are on the magazine page they're viewing.

Surely there's a more straightforward and user friendly way to go about this? I don't want to involve much scripting or weird overlapping layout items.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Best,

Ryan

Outcomes