CordegaSolutions

Issues with selecting and reordering lines in modules with double arrowed lists

Discussion created by CordegaSolutions on Mar 18, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 by TSGal

Ever since one of the recent FileMaker 16 updates (v3 I think), I've been having problems selecting and moving items in lists that have the up/down double arrow.

So far, I've only experienced this in FileMaker Pro Advanced on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2.  I don't use FMP, so I can't be sure it's a problem there.

One of several issues will happen:

1. If I click and hold on the "double arrow" in order to move the the item, sometimes it fails to grab the item, even though has the symbol that implies it should be able to move it up and down.  Nothing happens.

2. There are other times where I think that I've grabbed the correct field, and then start dragging only to find that the field being dragged was the one that was either immediately above or below the one I was attempting to grab.

3. There are also times where it indicates I've grabbed the correct field, and the lines seem to highlight correctly, but nothing actually moves.

I have encountered the same behavior in the manage layouts window, importing window, and value lists window.  So I'm fairly certain it's an issue with all modules that use this feature.

I *think* the issue has something to do with the bounding box in which the double arrow is clicked not matching up to the same bounding area which pops up the tool tip that registers the item as selected.  It seems like it's off by a few pixels.

The more complex the list (value list, layouts, imports), the more trouble I seem to have.

This problem is a really big time suck.  I can sometimes spend several minutes trying to reorder imports when it should really take about 1/10th of the time.

I know some other developers that have similar issues, so maybe they can add their own two cents.

Outcomes