AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker locked a record, can I unlock?

Question asked by BerryHoning on Mar 19, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 by fmpdude

I have a bug in my app and I do not know the cause of it or what kind of behaviour of my employees triggered this. But I might find out if I learn more about locked and unlocked records.

Normally when you alter a record, the record is open, but closed to others. When someone else tries to enter data, they get a message that the record can not be changed.

Now I seem to have one record that remains in that locked position, while nobody is in it. As mentioned, I don't know what caused it.

I know the data is in the record, because if I try to find productnumber 35, it finds the record, but it does not show data. So it seems to be an empty record, which is not. I also can't export data. So obviously the record is not open, or unlocked. Because it's not open, I also can't duplicate

Finally: I made a lock test variable (= get (record accessibility) ). All records are open (value 2), except one: the record that has this particular problem.

First: is there a way to unlock this record?

Second: any experience under what conditions this can occur? Then I can try to prevent it. It's the second time this has occurred. I can repair easily, but I want to know the cause.

Outcomes