AnsweredAssumed Answered

Serial Increment with an If Function

Question asked by annd on Mar 20, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 by user19752

I am pretty new to FMP, and I am having trouble building a calculation that will automatically generate intake numbers for my organization.

The intake number works as follows:
- Last two digits of the year

- Digits of the month

- Hyphen

- Number of complaints received thus far that month

Sample result: 1803-119

The first four digits are currently being set manually at the start of each new month, but this creates inaccuracies, because the person in charge of re-setting it often forgets, so the first 10-25 intakes for the new month get entered on the old month.  In case it matters, we never have a need (or a desire) to go back and enter new intakes on an old month; the moment the month changes, the intake should be identified by the new month.

I have pieces of the calculation worked out, I think:

If ( Length ( Get ( CurrentDate )  = 9 ); ( Right ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ; 2 ) & "0" & Left ( Get (CurrentDate) ; 1)  & "-" &

I have tried adding Serial Increment at the front and the back of this in a whole range of different ways, and I can't get the number to increment.  (I keep getting 1803-2.)  I don't know if the problem is that I don't understand the hierarchy of functions, or if my whole approach is wrong, or if I don't even know enough to know where I'm screwing up.

In any event, thanks for any help you can offer!

Outcomes