AnsweredAssumed Answered

When importing a Filemaker database into a new version automatically filled serial numbers are not updated

Question asked by johannes on Mar 28, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 by philmodjunk

Hi all,

It seems to me that there is a kind of bug in the Filemaker import strategy.

I have a field "ID" in every table, that is automatically populated by Filemaker with a serial number, that is increased by 1 with every new record.

When I roll out a new version of a database and import the old (live) database into the new one, these serial numbers are not updated with the ones from the live database.

Example:

Order::ID in my development version is 11. In the live database it is 416. After importing the live database that figure is still 11. Hence, when a user creates a new order, it is given the ID 11, not 416. Of course this creates lots of problems. Thus I have to update those numbers manually for every table in the database.

Am I missing something or am I doing something wrong or is this not thought through by Filemaker?

Of course I could provide those numbers myself for every new record, but the advantage of having Filemaker populate those fields is, that I don't have to take care of it and it is safer.

I'd be very interested in your views.

Thank you very much in advance

Best

Hans

Outcomes