PeterTeneldas

Field-Based Value List:  Can't Add Names On-the-Fly

Discussion created by PeterTeneldas on Mar 31, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 by beverly

Hello, everyone and Happy Easter and Passover.

I’m designing a movie database and need just a little help with designing a drop down menu that uses a value list. I’m probably overlooking something very simple.

I want to use a drop down menu that contains a list of directors’ names. I decided to use a value list that is based on a table. The table’s name is Directors. The field name is DirectorsList.

I’ve entered a few names in the table—just three, to start. I then created the drop down menu, based on that table and field. As of right now, it works properly.

But I want to do something else: I want to be able to add names to the drop down menu on the fly, as I enter records. I want those names to be added to the drop down menu. I haven’t figured out how to do that yet, so I am requesting assistance with it.

For example, if I create a new record and type in the movie title The Seventh Seal, I type in the name Ingmar Bergman into the drop down menu. That works, and the record retains the name. So far, so good.

However, if I create another new record, and type in the movie title Persona, and then try to retrieve the name Ingmar Bergman from the drop down menu, it’s not there. That’s the problem.

So, how do I get a name entered permanently into the drop down menu via this method? Is it possible? Or should I be using a different procedure entirely?

Thank you for your help.   PT

Outcomes