AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I use value lists to choose other value lists?

Question asked by lonestarbuc on Apr 3, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 by philmodjunk

I'm working on a solution for a small music store.  If someone brings in an instrument for repair, I need to be able to choose the type of instrument from a predetermined musical instrument value list.  Once that is done, I need to answer a specific question (using another value list) but the selection of which second value list is used, needs to be determined by the  selection in the first value list.

So if someone picks a clarinet from the Instrument Value List, I then need to know whether it is a wood or plastic clarinet.  If someone, instead, chose an F horn from the Instrument Value List, I then need to know whether it is a single horn or double horn.  I realize I could put all potential variables into the second Value List, but that takes away the simplicity and elegance of the final product I'm trying to create.

Compounding what I'm trying to do is that the list of repair options and pricing, will based on the type of instrument AND specific characteristics.  I have an idea how to set up this third set of value lists, but the selection of which one in my solution would be determined by the selections made in the first two value lists.

For example, if someone brings in a plastic clarinet I need to present a different set of work options than I would for the wood clarinet.  Or a silver trumpet, or a violin bow.

Outcomes