AnsweredAssumed Answered

"POSTING" - HELP - 2nd request

Question asked by mikeatechols on Apr 6, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 by mikeatechols

I can't figure out how to "POST" (change / increase / decrease) an amount from one Table into another Table.  I have read and watched ALL previously suggested materials (and more) and still can't 'get' this.

Example 1:  Example - writing a check:

>  In our "ACCOUNTS" Table (Chart of Accounts), I have a debit balance of $1,000.00 in my checking account (Ac# 1004)

>  I open my "Check Entry" screen in my "CHECKS" Table.  The balance field shows me I have a $1,000.00 balance.  (It "looks up" the balance of Ac# 1004 in my ACCOUNTS Table).

>  I write a check for $100.00

>  When I 'commit' the check, how do I decrease the balance (credit) of Ac# 1004 by the $100.00 so that the next time I need to write a check, the balance field will show $900.00?  (And yes, we also debit the appropriate account)

>  I do NOT want to just add up the deposits and checks.  I have over 22 years of data imported into my new FM database with tens of thousands of checks and deposits.  (I'm sure many of you have way more records than that).

Example 2:  Making a sale - decreasing Inventory:

>  In our "INVENTORY" Table, I have an "On_Hand" quantity for an inventory item.

>  When I enter an Invoice (from the "INVOICES" Table), I need it to deduct the quantity sold from this "On_Hand" quantity.

>  I do NOT want to just add up 22+ years of purchases and sales for this item.

My gut tells me this is going to be a script, but I have not yet been able to figure this out.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Mike

Outcomes