AnsweredAssumed Answered

External Data Sources

Question asked by ThierryGuemboura on Apr 10, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 by ThierryGuemboura

Hi everybody.

I recently commissioned a new database which is hosted outside my LAN. The purpose of that DB is to give access to a client to a subset of their files only.

After making some tests, I elected to build this Clients file and host it on the cloud, so I am certain this client will not see records he should not, plus I do not open my firewall.

Several scripts on my my main database hosted on the LAN server determine if a new record belongs to the hosted file, if yes a new record is created in the Client hosted file and lookups through a relationship via External Data Sources (referring from WEB to LAN to my public IP address) updates the fields.

Everything works well if I work from home (meaning outside the LAN). My FMP 16 advanced open the main file by pointing at the public IP address and open the main file. If a script is launched to create a record in the Cloud Client file, the lookups works well because the initiator is outside the LAN.

The problem is when a user inside the LAN launches the new record in Cloud file, parameters transfer well but no lookup. I think I have identified the reason: it is because a LAN machine cannot see the Public IP. How can I circumvent that problem. Should I setup multiple External Data Source.

Thank you in advance.

Outcomes