PeterTeneldas

Radio Buttons in a Portal:  Pointing to the Same Option

Discussion created by PeterTeneldas on Apr 11, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 by BruceRobertson

Hello, again, everyone. Some of you reading this know I’m working on a movie database, and I think I’ve made considerable progress understanding some database design concepts.

Several of you helped me understand I should have one table for “people,” and the portal should reflect their functions in the movie, i.e. actor, director, writer, composer, producer, etc.

A few of you even sent me sample databases, and they helped tremendously. Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

I’ve done some experimenting, and I think I’ve come pretty close to getting this section of my database working. It needs some tweaking, so if I may, I’d like to ask for some assistance with it.

First of all, I believe the most practical way of setting up this section of the database is by creating a portal that has two sections: One that shows the person’s name, and another section that shows their function in the movie.

For example:

Young Frankenstein

Mel Brooks – Director

Gene Wilder – Actor

Teri Garr – Actor

Peter Boyle – Actor

Cloris Leachman – Actor

Madeline Kahn – Actor

Right now, I am only interested in actors and directors. So, I have a problem to solve: If I use drop-down menus, with one of them holding only two values (Actor and Director), I will have to select Actor over and over again, each time I select an actor’s name. This can get tedious. So, I want to figure out a way to have the menu automatically go to a default choice, unless I manually override it. In other words, I want it to automatically list ACTOR, unless I go into the menu and select DIRECTOR.

After thinking about it a bit more, I decided it might be a lot easier to create a radio button set, with only two options: Actor, and Director. The ACTOR button should be selected by default, unless I manually override it by selecting the DIRECTOR button.

Does this make sense? Is this a good idea? I created a custom value list, with only these two options.

So, I designed a test database to see how to create all of this. It’s attached to this message.

I haven’t designed the radio button set correctly because after I select a person’s name, I click a radio button, and ALL of the radio buttons have that identical selection. In other words, if I click ACTOR in the first radio button, then ALL of the radio buttons go to ACTOR. If I try clicking any one of the radio buttons in the portal, ALL of the buttons go to that selection.

So, obviously, I did something wrong--probably several things wrong. Would anyone be willing to take a moment and look at what I’ve done, and see where I made a mistake (or mistakes)?

And, can anyone tell me if there’s a way to enable a default setting on the radio buttons, so it automatically goes to ACTOR unless I select DIRECTOR?

Thank you, everyone!

Outcomes