AnsweredAssumed Answered

Portal Filter Suddenly Stopped Working

Question asked by cynthiablue on Apr 17, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 by Benjamin Fehr

Maybe I'm just looking at the computer too much... but I have a portal filter that is suddenly not working. I'm running Filemaker 16.0.5.500 and I didn't upgrade recently.. unless it upgraded on me in the background and I didn't know about it.

I'm writing a Dog Sports software and I have a Current Events Table that shows the ID of the Current Event. I'll include some screenshots.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 3.17.27 PM.png

That's the table... on my Home Page I have a drop-down menu that allows the user to switch between the events, and the above table updates based on which Event is set to the Current Event and this is working correctly.

I have a Layout to view the current dog's entries...  This is based on my Dog Table, and the portals are based on the Run table.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 3.15.29 PM.png

The Run Table contains all the runs for each dog.  So the portals correctly display all the runs for the dog that is currently shown on the Layout . However, I want to only show the runs for the Current Event... and in the Trial One portal show T1 runs... The Trial Two Portal show the T2 runs... etc.

The little '51' box in the top is just displaying the value in the Global Field __pkCurrentEvent, which is Event number 51.  In the portal for Trial 1, the 51 shows the __pkCurrentEvent global field, and the 25 shows the __fkEvent key that is on the Run table.  So as you can see in the above image, even though the Current Event is set to 51, the runs for Event 25 is showing in the portal despite my filter as set below:

My filter that's on the Portal is as follows:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 3.22.23 PM.png

So I want it to narrow down the Runs based on the Trial Number, and the Current Event.  If I leave in the filter Run::TrialNumber = 1, I see all the runs that have that dog for Trial 1.  But for some reason my filter that limits the Run Event Key and the Current Event key (Run::__fkEvent = CurrentEvent::__pkCurrentEvent) it still shows all the Runs.. the portal no longer respects that filter.

I've been working on this application for many, many months, and that part of the filter has always worked before today.

When I put that same filter ( Run::__fkEvent = CurrentEvent::__pkCurrentEvent ) into the "Hide Object When" part of the Inspector for an individual field inside the portal, it correctly hides that field.  (as you can see by the second image.. I have that object hidden in Trial Two, the blank space before where it says B).

So I don't know why this filter is no longer working on the portal itself but is still working on the Hide Object When option.  Does anyone have any idea?  I've looked at the Run table many times today and yes the __fkEvent key is the correct one that I'm trying to filter for.   But the Portal is ignoring that filter.

I've tried running a Recover on the files but that doesn't seem to help.  I am using the Data Separation Model so my Data is in a separate file than my scripts and layouts.

I guess I just need to use the Hide Object When option for now... but it's been driving me nuts.

Thanks!

Cynthia

Outcomes