sawhat

FileMaker Cloud AWS DNS issue 4-24-18

Discussion created by sawhat on Apr 24, 2018

Just an FYI

Customer calls saying "File not reachable"!

Console not reachable from certain network.

When I was able to logon to console there were no files visible in the Database. I noticed however that the backups had occurred as scheduled every 20 minutes. So I decided to download the latest backup and then upload it using the same name as the original file. Error on upload stating that the filename already existed. Cancelled and returned to console and the file was visible again. Then I noticed that iPads were able to connect using telecom connection but not wireless.

I checked AWS and found this. Temporarily used the public IP address to connect to the server until the issue was resolved.

From AWS:

[RESOLVED] Investigating reports of DNS Resolution Issues 05:19 AM PDT We are investigating reports of problems resolving some DNS records hosted on Route53 using the third party DNS resolvers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . DNS resolution using other third-party DNS resolvers or DNS resolution from within EC2 instances using the default EC2 resolvers are not affected at this time. 05:49 AM PDT We have identified the cause for an elevation in DNS resolution errors using third party DNS resolvers 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and are working towards resolution. DNS resolution using other third-party DNS resolvers or DNS resolution from within EC2 instances using the default EC2 resolvers continues to work normally. 06:10 AM PDT Between 4:05 AM PDT and 5:56 AM PDT, some customers may have experienced elevated errors resolving DNS records hosted on Route 53 using DNS resolvers 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 . The issue has been resolved and the service is operating normally.

Outcomes