AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing a folder of text files

Question asked by umair685 on Apr 26, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 28, 2018 by onefish

Hello everyone in the community.

I am beginner to filemaker. I have Filemaker Pro 16 on Windows 10. Have been playing around it for about a month now. Right now I am working on a piece of simple project regarding importing files, more specifically pdf files. I would appreciate if someone can give me a loose guideline regarding scripting.

First and foremost, I have a bunch of pdf files on my desktop. I have converted them to text files through windows powershell. Question: can I use the filemaker scripting to do it by itself?

Here is the outline of what I intend to do:

1. the script asks for the location of the folder from where to choose the pdf files. I know it can be done through Get Directory. Question is, how can I make filemaker to proceed after grabbing pdf files in the folder ? Do I have to set variables or anything ? 

2. then a loop that will take one file at a time and convert them to text file temporarily. the script then scans through the text grabbing the relevant details and creating a new record in a table and uploading the details to specified fields. I think I can scan the text files through Position and Middle text functions. Question: I don't know how to go about creating the loop. can I receive guidance?

3. once done, delete the temporarily created text file and move to the next pdf file. and repeats step 2.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been stressing about it for some time now.

P.S. Apologies if these questions have been asked before. I couldn't find what I was looking for my situation and thus created a question.

Regards,

Outcomes